Truro Information

 
Cape Cod Lodging

Truro Lodging

The Town of Truro is a small, rural community of Lower Cape Cod where the quaint and unique character of “Old Cape Cod” is preserved. Truro is rich in history and strongly tied to the sea. It is in Truro where the Pilgrims from the Mayflower found a spring from which they drew their first drink of water in the new land, and where they found a cache of Indian corn, at a place named Corn Hill, that saved them from starvation after their first year. Truro possesses beautiful beaches on Cape Cod Bay and some of the most magnificent beaches on the Atlantic Ocean. A source of inspiration to artists and beachcombers alike, Truro’s beaches, dunes and landscape of rolling hills are an attraction to tourists and vacationers. Home to a diverse year-round population, Truro’s permanent population includes fishermen, tradesmen, and an ever-growing number of retirees. The town is home of the famous Cape Cod Light, Cape Cod’s oldest lighthouse, which was first erected in 1797 and replaced by the current structure in 1857. The national landmark is in danger of falling into the ocean due to erosion, unless the town and area citizens receive support and cooperation from the federal and state governments. With over half of its land area within the Cape Cod National Seashore District, the residents of Truro are dedicated to preserving the special character of this seashore community.

Town Location

Southeastern Massachusetts, at the “wrist” of Cape Cod. Bordered by the Atlantic Ocean on the north and east, Wellfleet on the south, and Cape Cod Bay and Provincetown on the west. Truro is 37 miles north of Hyannis; 106 miles southeast of Boston; 117 miles east of Providence, Rhode Island; and 284 miles from New York City. Town offices are located at Town Hall Road, P.O. Box 2030, Truro, MA 02666-2030. The main number is 508-349-3635.

Bell Church

 
 
Truro
A meetinghouse built in 1827 and named after the Revere bell in its steeple, this church still holds Sunday services. Its windows are made from Sandwich glass. Located on Meeting House Road off Route 6.

Blacksmith Shop Restaurant

Route 6A
508-349-6554
Truro
No Description Available

Cape Outback Adventure

Box 497
800-864-0070
Truro
Full service guide/outfitter company - offers guide led kayak trips, off-road mountain biking, surfing instructions

Castle Hill Center For The Arts

 
508-349-7511
Truro
No Description Available

Highland House

 
 
Truro
Built at the turn of the century as an inn, this now operates as the Truro Historical Museum. The structure contains a collection of 17th Century antiques, period firearms, shipwreck pieces and fishing/whaling implements. Located on High Land Light Road.

Highland Light Golf Course

Highland Road
508-487-9201
Truro
9-Hole, Par 36 course

Highland Lighthouse Museum

27 Highland Light Rd.
508-487-1121
Truro
No Description Available

Highland Links

10 Highland Lighthouse Rd
508-487-9201
North Truro
Public - 9 hole - You can see the ocean from every hole. The fairways are wide, and the greens are large. This is one of the Cape's great nine hole courses. The course was built on top of a high bluff overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. There are additional tees that can be used when playing an eighteen hole round.

Jenny Lind Tower

 
 
Truro
Originally a railroad depot tower in Fitchburg, it is famous for a concert performed by "Swedish Nightingale" Jenny Lind in 1850. When an angry mob formed outside a concert hall after promoters oversold the Lind concert, she climbed the tower and sang to them for free. When the Fitchburg Depot was demolished in 1927, this tower was moved to Truro. It now sits beside the Highland Light Beach parking lot.

Old North Cemetery

 
 
Truro
Some of Truro's first inhabitants were laid to rest here on the "Hill of Storms." It also marks the location of the town's original meetinghouse and Congregational church. After residents decided these buildings were too far away, a new church was built in 1827 at Truro center and the meetinghouse moved closer. The cemetery still remains with tombstones dating back into the 1700s. Located on Aldrich Road off Route 6.

 
 
The Cape Cod Map®

FREE
VIEW